Keeping of specially protected species

If you are in possession of a specially protected vertebrate animal, you must report it to the lower nature conservation authority immediately after you start keeping it.

Original documents for the proof of lawful origin (e.g. EC or CITES certificates, receipts, invoices, contracts) must be submitted together with the fully completed and signed "Stock notification of vertebrates of specially protected species".

The legal basis for this is § 7 para. 2 of the Federal Species Protection Ordinance (BArtSchV).