Identity card

ID obligation

German citizens over the age of 16 are required by law to have a valid identity card or valid passport. However, there is no obligation to carry the document with them at all times. Violation of the obligation to carry an ID card is an administrative offense that can be punished with a fine.

The ID card serves primarily as an identification document, but also has an online ID function for secure identification with certified service providers on the Internet or on certified devices. Extensive information on this can be found on the ID card portal of the Federal Ministry of the Interior and in the current information brochure.


    • Personal presence required at application from age 6 (obligation to provide fingerprints).
    • For children under 16 years of age, personal presence with one parent is required at the time of application


    • Validity: 6 years for applications submitted up to the age of 24; 10 years thereafter.
    • Issue period: approx. 3 - 4 weeks

    In urgent cases, a temporary identity card can be issued immediately, valid for 3 months.

    An extension of the identity card is not possible.

    Required documents

    • Birth or marriage certificate, possibly family register
    • old identity card, passport or children's passport
    • 1 biometric photo (not older than 1 year) You can take a digital photo (there is no printout on photo paper, the fee is 9,00 Euro) in the waiting room of the Bürgeramt at our self-service terminal.
    • Signed declaration of consent of the legal guardian under 16 years of age
  • The issuance of an ID card for minors under the age of 16 requires the written consent of both parents, provided they have joint parental custody.

    Otherwise, the legally binding divorce decree or custody order, the appointment of the guardianship court or the joint custody declaration certified by the Youth Welfare Office or the confirmation of the non-issuance of a joint custody declaration (negative certificate) must be submitted. If the consent of the legal guardian(s) is granted, the passport authority must verify the authenticity of the signature(s). Identity cards or passports of both legal guardians must therefore be presented.

    • 22,80 Euro under 24 years of age; thereafter 37,00 Euro
    • 10,00 Euro temporary identity card

    Method of payment: cash or EC card with PIN. The fee must be paid when the application is submitted.

    Services free of charge for the online ID card function: setting the personal PIN from the age of 16, subsequent activation of the online ID card function, PIN change at the Bürgeramt, blocking the online ID card function in the event of loss, unblocking the online ID card function.

  • Delivery of the new ID card:

    After production of your ID card (approx.3-4 weeks), you will automatically receive a PIN letter from Bundesdruckerei for using the online ID card function if you were already 15 years and 9 months old when you applied. However, please do not bring the PIN letter with you to the collection.

    Proxy authorization for ID card pickup:

    You can have an authorized representative represent you when you pick up your ID card. Detailed information on this can be found in the information sheet as an attachment to the Authorization to pick up ID card form.

  • Loss

    As an ID card holder, you are required by law to immediately report the loss or theft of your ID card to your local ID card authority or the police. The same applies if the document reported as lost is recovered. The police will post the lost document in the INPOL property tracing system in order to counteract any misuse of the ID card. This also applies abroad, of course. When doing so, have the foreign police station provide you with a written confirmation of your lost or stolen document. Upon your return, please present this written confirmation to your responsible identification authority.

    If the loss of your ID card has already been reported to a German police station, please bring the copy of the loss report from the police with you when you apply for a new ID card. Please note: It is an administrative offense not to report the loss of an ID card or not to report it in time . The offence can be punished with a warning fine or a fine.


    Loss of ID card with activated proof of identity (eID function)

    If the online ID function of your ID card is activated at the time of the loss, you must have the online ID function blocked immediately in addition to the actual loss report. You can request the online ID function to be blocked either directly at the ID authority in your current place of residence or via the toll-free telephone blocking emergency number 116 116 in Germany. Please have your blocking password ready for the call, which was provided to you in the PIN letter. The online ID function will be blocked immediately and can no longer be used for the time being. If you no longer know your blocking password, you can ask for it at the ID card authority in your current place of residence. For security reasons, proof of your identity is required here. Further information is available on the Internet under Sperr-Notruf.



    If the ID card that was reported lost or stolen is found again and comes into your possession, you are also legally obligated to report the recovery to the responsible ID card authority without delay, in order to avoid problems when traveling abroad in the future, among other things. The reason for this is that all ID documents reported as lost or stolen are listed in the police's INPOL property tracing system, both nationally and internationally. Only when you have officially reported your ID card as "found" will a corresponding entry be deleted from the police. For this reason, you should immediately go in person to the relevant identification authority and present your recovered ID card. The ID card authority will then carry out the deletion of the ID card in the INPOL property search in cooperation with the police.

    Please note:

    Germany cannot influence whether and how other countries set up their national police information systems or whether and how frequently they are updated. Therefore, in individual cases, foreign authorities may not recognize your recovered ID card for use abroad or may even confiscate it.

    If you want to avoid such potential inconveniences, for example, during your vacation or on a business trip abroad, it is advisable to apply for a new document at your citizens' registration office if your ID card is lost or stolen and to refrain from the outset from any further use of the ID card after it has been recovered. Notice:

    It is a misdemeanor to fail to report the recovery of an ID card after it has been reported lost, or to do so in a timely manner . The offence can be punished with a warning or a fine.