Marriage certificate

Germans who wish to marry abroad generally require a certificate of marriageability from the registry office of their (last) place of residence in Germany.

The examination of the marriage requirements refers primarily to the German partner(s). The documents to be submitted are identical to those for a marriage in Germany. However, if one of the partners is a foreign citizen, he/she must also submit the relevant documents proving that the marriage requirements according to his/her home country's law have been met.

The registry office will be happy to discuss which documents are required in individual cases for the issuance of a certificate of marriageability in a personal appointment.