Residence permit

For long-term residence, every foreigner who is not a citizen of an EU/EEA state needs a specific purpose of residence. This can be, among other things, education, studies, employment, international law, humanitarian, political or family reasons.

To apply for a residence permit, whether for the first time or for an extension, you must first submit the completed application form with all relevant documents in writing (by mail or e-mail). The required documents can be found on this page under "Forms".

The submitted documents are usually reviewed within six weeks. You will then automatically receive a letter on how to proceed. We kindly ask you to refrain from inquiries regarding the status of your application.

Note: Professionals can also submit some applications via the Citizen Service Portal .