In many countries outside the European Union (EU) you need a passport for entry. Please inform yourself about the specific entry requirements of your destination country and the necessary identification/passport documents in good time before you travel. Information on this can be found, among other things, in the travel and security information of the German Foreign Office.

    • Personal presence required at application from age 6 (obligation to provide fingerprints).
    • For children under 16 years of age, personal presence with one parent is required at the time of application


    • Period of validity: 6 years for applications submitted up to the age of 24; 10 years thereafter
    • Issue period: approx. 3 - 4 weeks

    In urgent cases, an express order is possible at your request (issuing time: 3-4 working days, Mon-Fri, excluding public holidays).

    However, the passport producer (Bundesdruckerei Berlin) does not provide any legal guarantee for a punctual delivery date. An additional fee must be paid for express delivery.

    If the express passport is needed even earlier, there is the possibility of issuing a temporary passport (valid for 1 year), provided that the respective country of entry recognizes it. In this case, the urgency for the issuance of a temporary passport must be proven by submitting appropriate documents (booking documents, airline tickets, etc.).

    Required documents

    • Birth or marriage certificate, possibly family record book
    • old identity card, passport or children's passport
    • 1 biometric photo (not older than 1 year) You can take a digital photo (there is no printout on photo paper, the fee is 9,00 Euro) in the waiting room of the Bürgeramt at our Self-Service-Terminal (SST) (For babies and small children the SST is rather unsuitable).
    • Signed declaration of consent from the legal guardian under 18 years of age.
  • The issuance of a passport for minors under the age of 18 requires the written consent of both parents, provided they have joint parental custody.

    Otherwise, the legally binding divorce decree or custody order, the appointment of the guardianship court or the joint custody declaration certified by the Youth Welfare Office or the confirmation of the non-issuance of a joint custody declaration (negative certificate) must be submitted. If the consent of the legal guardian(s) is granted, the passport authority must verify the authenticity of the signature(s). Identity cards or passports of both legal guardians must therefore be presented.

  • Fees:

    • 37.50 Euro under the age of 24; thereafter 60.00 Euro
    • 32,00 Euro Additional fee for express order
    • 26,00 Euro Temporary passport
    • 22,00 Euro additional fee for 48-page passport

    Payment method: cash or EC card with PIN

    The fee must be paid at the time of application.

  • The new passport can be picked up/handed over at the information desk of the Citizens' Registration Office. When the new passport is handed over, the old passport or children's passport must be brought along for collection or cancellation.

    Power of attorney for passport collection:

    You may be represented by a proxy when picking up your passport. This person will need a power of attorney signed by you personally. The person authorized by you must therefore bring the power of attorney declaration and your old passport (if available) with him/her when picking up your new passport, otherwise no delivery of the new passport document can take place.

    The person authorized by you must also be able to identify himself/herself.

  • Loss

    As a passport holder, you are required by law to immediately report the loss or theft of your passport to your local identification authority or the police. The same applies if the document reported as lost has been recovered. The police will report the lost document in the INPOL property search in order to counteract any misuse of the passport. Of course, this also applies abroad. When doing so, have the foreign police station provide you with a written confirmation of your loss or theft report. After your return, please present this written confirmation to your responsible identification authority.

    If the loss of your passport has already been reported to a German police station, please bring the copy of the loss report from the police with you when applying for a new passport.

    Please note:

    It is an administrative offense not to report the loss or recovery of a passport or to report it in time . The offence may be punished by a warning fine or a fine.



    If the passport reported as lost or stolen is recovered and comes into your possession, you are also required by law to report the recovery to the relevant identification authority without delay in order to avoid problems with future travel abroad, among other things. The reason for this is that all identification and passport documents considered lost or stolen are listed in the police's INPOL property tracing system, both nationally and internationally. Only when you have officially reported your passport as "found" will a corresponding entry be deleted from the police. Therefore, you should immediately go in person to the relevant identification authority and present your recovered passport. The identification authority will then carry out the deletion of the passport in the INPOL property search in cooperation with the police.

    Please note:

    Germany cannot influence whether and how other countries set up their national police information systems or whether and how frequently they are updated. Therefore, in individual cases, foreign authorities may not recognize your recovered passport for use abroad or may even confiscate it.

    If you want to avoid such potential inconveniences, for example, during your vacation or business trip abroad, it is advisable to apply for a new document at your citizens' registration office if your passport is lost or stolen and to refrain from using your passport after it has been recovered.