For the construction or purchase of a house or condominium, there is government assistance that facilitates financing. The basic principle is that the applicant must live in the apartment or house himself.
There are some basic requirements for the subsidy:
- The annual family income must be below a certain limit. For a family with two adults and two children, for example, this limit is €56,500.00, which corresponds to about €81,000.00 gross income.
- At least 1/3 of the total financing must be covered by a loan from a bank on the open market.
- Equity capital in the amount of at least 20% of the total costs is made up of the purchase price (for the building plus the land) or the total construction costs including the purchase price of the land plus about 6.5% incidental costs and any brokerage fees.
- The financing must be sustainable in the long term. In the example of the above-mentioned family of four, after deducting the costs of financing and operating the property, there must still be at least €1,750.00 per month left over for living expenses.
- The application must be submitted before the start of construction or purchase.
- The object must be located in the city area. Contact persons for objects outside the city area are the respective district offices.
For the adaptation of existing housing to the needs of people with disabilities, there are also state subsidies of max. € 10,000.00 per dwelling in the form of a benefit-free loan. However, the beneficiary's household must also fall below a certain income threshold.